`

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Louisa Keenan and the case of the missing catterpillers

As some of you may have guessed from my last post we have a butterfly farm. This year we have very picky caterpillars. They like to leave their box and crawl all over the table. I call them little escape artists. Anyway three days ago we could only find 4 out of the five caterpillars that we had. I looked high and low for him but alas he was nowhere to be found. Today I was eating my breakfast of Pancakes and strawberries when I happened to look at the office doorway. That little caterpillar had climbed and crawled a total of 35 feet and 2 in. Dodging feet and hungry cats ( Actually I don't think cats eat bugs) to make a chrysalis in the doorway of the office. I guess I will never understand nature or crazy caterpillars.

*Louisa*

3 comments:

  1. LOL! When we raised painted lady caterpillars, we kept the butterflies too long in captivity and we ended up with gazillions of itty bitty caterpillars. They fell through the mesh cage and ended up everywhere.

    That was an interesting, (hopefully) non-repeatable science experiment.

    (Note: Our cat eats bugs. Insects, that is.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't think cats eat bugs, but there's no doubt that they would attack a little moving thing.
    Wow, a butterfly farm! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louisa, actually, cats do eat bugs. I know that for a fact--our cat, Snickerdoodle, loves to catch insects and eat them, especially flies, and spiders...(it's terrible...she catches one, then eats it...it's gross to watch.) But, anyways, we used to keep caterpillars...we always fed them milkweed plants, which they supposedly likes, except they never, ever get eaten, and just turn rotten. I remember Snickerdoodle knocked the cage over(it's a very cheap butterfly cage) and it just happened to be open, and the butterflies, well one, actually, came out, and we were chasing it around, and I realized, as I should've before, just to open the door. Well, it ended up going outside.So, there's my butterfly/caterpillar story..Bailey stole the other one..naughty, naughty!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping to leave a comment
*Louisa*